The ENERGY STAR is a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Department of Energy program identifying and labeling energy-efficient products to help households and businesses conserve energy, save money and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. While ENERGY STAR® products run on less energy and promote cost savings, they oftentimes provide superior performance and durability.
Central Florida Gas (CFG) strongly encourages homebuilders to pursue ENERGY STAR® qualifications - and is enlisted as a partner in the “New Homes” category. Through various avenues, CFG will help educate builders and homeowners on best energy practices while promoting the inherent advantages of an ENERGY STAR® Qualified home. CFG energy consultants are on hand to answer questions and provide clarifications.
What is an ENERGY STAR® home?
An ENERGY STAR® home is at least 15% more energy efficient than homes built to the 2004 International Residential Code (IRC), including additional energy-saving features that typically make them 20–30% more efficient than standard homes.
When selecting appliances, homeowners should think beyond initial price and consider the cost of monthly energy use. ENERGY STAR® qualified appliances use 10–50% less energy and water than standard models- offsetting what may be a slightly more expensive price tag.
ENERGY STAR® features to look for:
1. Effective insulation: Installed properly, insulation seals out excessive heat, cold, and noise, allowing for a more consistent temperature throughout the house.
2. High-performance windows: Helping block home and furniture from damaging sunlight, high-performance windows help keep heat in during winter and out during summer.
3. Tight construction and ducts: Sealing in the cracks and ducts helps eliminate drafts, moisture, dust, pests, and pollen- all while reducing utility, maintenance and the load on heating and cooling equipment.
4. Efficient Heating and Cooling Equipment: Properly sized heating and cooling systems can reduce humidity, noise and utility bills.
5. Efficient products: Light fixtures, fluorescent bulbs, fans, and appliances, such as refrigerators, dishwashers, and washing machines all affect a home’s efficiency. ENERGY STAR® qualified products conserve energy and offer superior performance and durability.
6. Third party verification: Home Energy Raters conduct on-site testing and inspections to verify the energy efficiency measures, as well as insulation, air tightness, and duct sealing details. With their help, ENERGY STAR® builders can choose the best energy-saving features.
For more information on our ES New Homes Program contact:
Energy Plus Partner Representative
RESNET™/ ENERGY STAR® Rater
Central Florida Gas/ Treasure Coast Propane
Learn more at: